This degree program is designed to provide students with a broad base of communication courses that provide training for entry into occupations in which public contact and verbal skills are important. Students will explore and analyze verbal communication methods, as well as develop and advance their oral communication skills. Students completing this degree may be interested in pursuing careers in community service, sales, performing arts, teaching, and other communication professions.
The following is required for the AA-T in Communication Studies 2.0 for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information. Note: If following IGETC, IGETC-CSU must be followed for admission to a CSU.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Research, write and deliver an effective public speech.
- Critically analyze, critique and synthesize arguments and information.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in a variety of media and/or contexts.
- Apply discipline-specific theories about language and communication to students’ own practice or work.
- Navigate norms related to communicating in diverse environments, including professional, intercultural, and/or specialized settings.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Introduction to Mass Communication|
|Critical Thinking in Group Communication|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Advanced Public Speaking|
|Advanced Composition: Critical Reasoning and Writing|
Any course from List A not selected above
|Units in the Major||18|
|12 units may be double-counted|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU)||39/37|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||15/17|
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into the Health Communication Major and the Communication Major in Applied Arts and Sciences emphases.