The AA-T in Music for Transfer is designed to prepare students to transfer to a California State University (CSU) with the intent of earning a B.A. in music. Students who earn this degree will have the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in a music degree at the baccalaureate level. The curriculum combines music theory, applied studies, and performance at the lower division level.
The following is required for the AA-T in Music for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information. Note: If following IGETC, IGETC-CSU must be followed for admission to a CSU.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze a musical score to determine its key, harmonic structure, musical style, and form.
- Identify musical elements in performances and relate them to their cultural and historical contexts.
- Use either the voice or a musical instrument to perform an intermediate level work with reliable technique and appropriate stylistic interpretation.
- Perform musical works in a large vocal or instrumental ensemble.
- Demonstrate proficiency on either a musical instrument or with the voice.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
|MUS-105||Music Theory and Practice I||4|
|MUS-106||Music Theory and Practice II||4|
|MUS-205||Music Theory and Practice III||4|
|Choose four units from the following large ensemble courses:||4|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Great Music Listening|
|Music Theory and Practice IV|
|Units for the Major||21-22|
|3 units may be double-counted|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU)||39/37|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||2-3/4-5|
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into Music B.A.