This program is designed to prepare students for transfer to a California State University (CSU) with the intent of earning a B.S. degree in Mathematics. Since jobs requiring mathematical skills such as data analysis, problem solving, pattern recognition, statistics, and probability are in high demand, the mathematics major may benefit both educationally and economically from developing and pursuing an interest in mathematics. Mathematical skills and statistical methods are employed regularly by researchers testing hypotheses, by workers applying quality control in manufacturing, and by informed citizens who must evaluate information from the media in tabular, graphical, and report form in order to reach solutions. This major offers a foundation in these necessary skills. The emphasis is to prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution and/or for career preparation in a vocational or professional field.
The following is required for the AS-T in Mathematics for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information. Note: If following IGETC, IGETC-CSU must be followed for admission to a CSU
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Draw conclusions about simple and complex systems by collecting, assessing, and analyzing information.
- Communicate technical ideas in group and professional settings in both written and oral form.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
|MATH-180||Analytic Geometry and Calculus I||5|
|MATH-280||Analytic Geometry and Calculus II||4|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Select one of the following:||3-5|
|Introduction to C++ Programming|
|Mechanics and Waves|
Any course from List A not selected above
|Units for the Major||19-21|
|7 units may be double-counted with GE|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU)||39/37|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||7-9|
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into Mathematics (Science Emphasis) B.S.