Students completing the required courses for this major will qualify to take nearly a dozen wastewater related certification examinations offered by the California Water Environment Association (CWEA). Although current State regulations do not require certification of wastewater collection system personnel, many public sector employers either require or prefer job applicants who have obtained the CWEA Wastewater Collection and Maintenance certifications.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Define common terminology pertaining to collections system components, design, and management as well as inspection and quality control.
- Identify the types and functions of pipes and fittings used in wastewater collection system design and management.
- Given a wastewater collection map book, identify pipeline dimensions, pipe construction materials, direction of flow, and location of valves, services and lift stations.
- Describe in detail basic underground location and leak detection, trenching and shoring, and backfill and compaction methods of construction used in the field.
- Describe the nine basic cleaning methods and basic principles involved in hydraulic and mechanical cleaning methods.
- List and describe the operation of common valves used in a wastewater collection system.
- Perform basic mathematical computations and conversions relating to wastewater collection systems, pressure, volume, velocity, chemical dosage, and hydraulic and organic loading.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
|CWS-100||Career Pathways in Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-101||Fundamentals of Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-102||Calculations in Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-106||Electrical & Instrumentation Processes||3|
|CWS-107||Safety in Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-132||Wastewater Collection Systems||3|
|CWS-134||Pumps, Motors & Valves||3|
|CWS-232||Advanced Wastewater Collection Systems||3|
|CWS-282||Cross-Connection Control Specialist||3|
|Select at least six units from the following:||6-7|
|Water Resources Management|
|Laboratory Analysis for Water & Wastewater|
|Water Treatment Plant Operations|
|Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations|
|Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse|
|Water Distribution Systems|
|Advanced Electrical & Instrumentation Processes|
|Practical Skills in Water & Wastewater Systems|
|Advanced Laboratory Analysis for Water & Wastewater|
|Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations|
|Advanced Water Distribution Systems|
|Public Works Supervision|
|Backflow Tester Training|
|Cross-Connection Control Specialist- Recycled Water|
|Cooperative Work Experience|
Certificate of Achievement
Students who complete only the major requirements above qualify for a Certificate in Wastewater Collection Systems. An official request must be filed with the Admissions and Records Office prior to the deadline as stated in the Academic Calendar.