The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer (AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education) is designed to provide lower division preparation for Liberal Arts, Liberal Studies, Integrated Teacher Education, or a similar major at a baccalaureate institution. It is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with a foundation of knowledge in the areas of English composition, oral communication, physical and life sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities, and critical thinking. Transfer students earning the AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education will receive a broad, general education focus that will prepare them to teach a variety of subjects at the elementary school level.
The following is required for the AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in a diverse setting.
- Demonstrate effective communication in teaching and learning environments.
- Use arithmetical, algebraic, geometric and statistical methods to solve problems.
- Describe general principles of the political institutions and government of the United States.
- Assess how social issues are influenced by geographical and historical processes.
- Analyze basic concepts of physical and biological science to evaluate scientific information and solve scientific problems.
- Analyze the principle elements of representative examples of art, architecture, literature, theater, philosophy, music, dance, film, or other relevant areas of cultural and/or intellectual creative.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the historical and philosophical context of representative areas, movements, media, works, or styles of cultural and/or intellectual creativity.
- Demonstrate the ability to write effectively.
- Organize thoughts and ideas in both oral and written format.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
|BIO-130||General Biology I||3|
|BIO-131||General Biology I Laboratory||1|
|CD-125||Child Growth and Development||3|
|CHEM-115||Fundamentals of Chemistry||4|
|ED-200||Teaching as a Profession||3|
|ENGL-120||College Composition and Reading||3|
|ENGL-122||Introduction to Literature||3|
|GEOG-106||World Regional Geography||3|
|GEOG-121||Physical Geography: Earth Systems Laboratory||1|
|HIST-100||Early World History||3|
|HIST-108||Early American History||3|
|MATH-125||Structure and Concepts of Elementary Mathematics I||3|
|POSC-121||Introduction to U.S. Government and Politics||3|
|ENGL-124||Advanced Composition: Critical Reasoning and Writing||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Great Music Listening|
|Introduction to the Theatre|
|Select eight units from the following:||8|
Any course in List B not selected
|Survey of Western Art I: Prehistory through Middle Ages|
|Survey of Western ART II: Renaissance through Modern|
|American Sign Language II|
|Physical Education in Elementary Schools|
|Health Education for Teachers|
|Structure and Concepts of Elementary Mathematics II|
|Introduction to Music|
|Problems in Ethics|
|Scriptures of World Religions|
|Units in the Major||60|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU) 1||37-39|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||0|
General education requirements all met in the major.
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into Liberal Studies Generalist Education.