The Biological Sciences Department offers a solid academic foundation for further study in life sciences. The primary emphasis of the biological sciences major program is to prepare students for successful transfer to baccalaureate (four-year) institutions. This course package for majors is modeled on the transfer requirements of San Diego State University and will satisfy requirements of most other California State University and University of California campuses. Students should check the catalog of the transfer school being considered for its specific requirements.
Biotechnology Lab Technician1
Nuclear Medical Technician2
Bachelor’s Degree or higher required.
Bachelor Degree normally recommended.
The Program-level Student Learning Outcomes (PSLOs) below are outcomes that students will achieve after completing specific degree / certificate requirements in this program. Students will:
- Explain how differences are the result of changes in characteristics due to natural selection and other forces of evolution.
- Compare and contrast the ways that different kinds of cells, organisms or the community take in, use, and transfer energy to meet their metabolic needs (Homeostasis).
- Describe how genetic information is stored, expressed, and transferred to offspring.
- Explain how a specific structure has a specific function based on its characteristics.
- Explain how molecules, cells, organs and/or organisms interact with one another and their environments.
Associate Degree Major Requirements
|BIO-215||Statistics for Life Sciences||3|
|BIO-230||Principles of Cellular, Molecular and Evolutionary Biology||4|
|BIO-240||Principles of Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology||5|
|CHEM-141||General Chemistry I||5|
|CHEM-142||General Chemistry II||5|
|Select one of the following:||5|
|Organic Chemistry I|
|Organic Chemistry I Lecture|
and Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
|MATH-180||Analytic Geometry and Calculus I||5|
|PHYC-130||Fundamentals of Physics||4|
|PHYC-131||Fundamentals of Physics||4|
Plus General Education and Elective Requirements