The Associate in Arts in Kinesiology for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students for transfer to a California State University (CSU) by fulfilling lower-division requirements for the disciplines of Kinesiology, Exercise Science and Physical Education. This major provides preparation for careers in physical therapy, coaching, personal training, and other allied health professions by including classes oriented toward fitness, wellness, and health promotion throughout the lifespan.
The following is required for the AA-T in Kinesiology for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information. Note: If following IGETC, IGETC-CSU must be followed for admission to a CSU.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- List and define the five basic components of physical fitness.
- Describe the concepts of frequency, intensity, and time and how they relate to personal fitness goals.
- Outline a basic strategy for achieving fitness through the lifespan.
- List options within the community for continued lifelong physical activity.
- List benefits of daily physical activity.
- Demonstrate competence in acquiring sound nutritional information.
- Demonstrate improvement in sport skills.
- Outline appropriate goals and activities for increasing the fitness of children.
- Describe appropriate preventive measures as well as treatments for various sport injuries.
- List and describe opportunities for employment in the field.
- Describe their field of interest and a course of instruction that will meet their professional needs.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
|BIO-141L||Laboratory in Human Physiology||1|
|ES-250||Introduction to Kinesiology||3|
|Movement Based Courses|
|Select one course from three different areas for a minimum of three units:||3-4|
|Self Defense for Women|
|Beginning Aerobic Dance Exercise|
|Intermediate Aerobic Dance Exercise|
|Advanced Aerobic Dance Exercise|
|Beginning Body Building|
|Intermediate Body Building|
|Advanced Body Building|
|Beginning Physical Fitness|
|Intermediate Physical Fitness|
|Advanced Physical Fitness|
|Select one Chemistry course:||5|
|Introduction to General, Organic and Biological Chemistry|
|Units in the Major||23-24|
|10-11.5 units may be doublte-counted with GE|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU)||39/37|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||7.5-9|
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into Exercise Science Generalist.