Students will study the technical processes, procedures, and methods used in the production, use, and distribution of recycled and reclaimed wastewater, including backflow protection, legal, administrative and permitting issues, the treatment process, health and safety concerns, and the cross-connection control (shut down) test as performed in San Diego County. The courses consist of both classroom and demonstration sessions which cover all aspects of cross-connection control and recycled water shut down testing.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Differentiate between different backflow devices and methods.
- Compare and contrast the effective uses of backflow devices and explain their limitations.
- Describe the specifications, installation, and operation of typical devices used in backflow prevention and testing and explain their proper installation.
- Perform accurate backflow prevention tests using proper test equipment.
- Analyze backflow prevention test results using standardized test reporting forms.
- Evaluate backflow testing device malfunctions.
- Articulate the importance of proper backflow testing equipment selection and use.
- Cite specific laws pertaining to cross-connection control programs.
- Complete basic backflow testing device repairs requiring breakdown and reassembly.
- Articulate the AWWA and ABPA testing standards.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
|CWS-101||Fundamentals of Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-102||Calculations in Water & Wastewater||3|
|CWS-130||Water Distribution Systems||3|
|CWS-280||Backflow Tester Training||2|
|CWS-282||Cross-Connection Control Specialist||3|
|CWS-284||Cross-Connection Control Specialist- Recycled Water||3|
|Select at least nine units from the following:||9-11|
|Water Resources Management|
|Electrical & Instrumentation Processes|
|Laboratory Analysis for Water & Wastewater|
|Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse|
|Wastewater Collection Systems|
|Pumps, Motors & Valves|
|Cooperative Work Experience|
Certificate of Achievement
Students who complete only the major requirements above qualify for a Certificate in Backflow & Cross-Connection Control. An official request must be filed with the Admissions and Records Office prior to the deadline as stated in the Academic Calendar.