The English Department at Cuyamaca College provides students in the local community an opportunity to develop the skills a wide range of employers seek: strong communication, analytical reading, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work in diverse teams. The department encourages students to engage deeply with literature and nonfiction texts as well as other forms of cultural production, and to account for how those texts inform our ideologies, norms, and values.
The following is required for the AA-T in English for Transfer degree:
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major.
- A grade of “C” or higher or “Pass” in all courses required for the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth pattern OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern; see Degree Requirements and Transfer Information section for more information. Note: If following IGETC, IGETC-CSU must be followed for admission to a CSU.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in a variety of media and/or contexts.
- Apply discipline-specific theories about language and communication to students’ own practice or work.
- Navigate norms related to communicating in diverse environments, including professional, intercultural, and/or specialized settings.
- Develop and support an original argument or interpretation with analysis of relevant evidence.
- Analyze how authors use language and/or texts to illuminate, critique, and/or shape reality.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
|ENGL-122||Introduction to Literature||3|
|ENGL-124||Advanced Composition: Critical Reasoning and Writing||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|British Literature I|
|British Literature II|
|American Literature I|
|American Literature II|
|World Literature I|
|World Literature II|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Women, Gender, and Sexuality in Literature|
|Introduction to Film as Literature|
|Masterpieces of Drama|
|Fantasy and Science Fiction|
Any course from List A not selected above
|Select one of the following:||3-5|
|Arabic Literature and Culture|
Any course from Lists A or B not selected above
|Units in the Major||18-20|
|9 units may be double counted with GE|
|Plus General Education Requirements (CSU GE or IGETC-CSU)||37-39|
|Total Transferable Elective Units||10-14|
Please note: SDSU accepts this degree for students transferring into English-Applied Arts and Sciences major.